Running in the Dark - Regan Summers A worthy sequel to Don't Bite the Messenger!

As a messenger for vampires, Sydney Kildare is used to danger at every turn. After a brush with death left her fleeing from her job and home in Alaska, Sydney is back to doing what she's great at, running, this time on some unfamiliar turf: Santiago, Chile. Working under an alias, Sydney must make a new name for herself in this new and unknown city but at least she has her boyfriend, vampire Malcolm by her side. With her latest deliveries leaving a trail of death and enemies from the past on her tail, Sydney soon finds herself in a run for her life.

This book is a non-stop thrill ride in a dark and dangerous world. While I love the setting of Alaska for the prequel, Don't Bite the Messenger, the new setting in Chile adds a grittier feel to the already
exciting world of Ms. Sydney Kildare. What draws me the most to this fierce heroine is that she's 100% human and has no supernatural abilities but can still stand her ground, Sydney is no damsel in distress, she's a true fighter! Sure she has a sexy vampire boyfriend to protect her, but she never relies on that and always finds a way to get out of a life threatening situation.

The element that drives this story is the ongoing suspense and constant action. We learn more about Malcolm and the relationship between him and Sydney as things get more serious now that the two are living together, that's not to say there isn't any unresolved tension going on. Just when you think this is the end of the road for any possible future for these two, they manage to strengthen their bond in the midst of all the chaos. Add a few villains into the mix and you have the makings of an action packed story.

I feel this story has a lot more character development than Don't Bite the Messenger, now that we're familiar with Ms. Summer's vampire world. The change of scenery kept the plot interesting and had that "anything can happen" feel halfway through the story that keeps you guessing. Fueled with vampire politics, old rivals, secrets and romance, Running in the Dark is a unique fantasy world of vampires that will leave you hungry for more of its charismatic characters!

{ebook courtesy of author in exchange for an honest review.}

Original Romancing the Darkside review: